Information about the Junior Gardeners Schools Activity
2b - copy
2b - copy - copy
What is the Junior Gardeners Schools Activity?
We come to your school or club, with everything we need to do the activity, including the soil!
We normally liaise with one member of staff to organise what classes are available to do the potting . We can get up to 4 classes potting in one day. The task is as follows:
- I introduce myself to the pupils and invite them to get involved in potting (magic) broad beans.
- I supply all materials ie. compost, pots , beans.
- After a quick introduction I can take groups of 6 to pot on a separate table in the class that is covered with a cloth. We empty compost and get potting.
- The pupils get to pot / grow their own bean plant which will have a label with the pupils name. There is little disturbance to class lessons as each group takes 5 minutes out for potting.
- Pots are put on a window ledge and a class record can be filled by the groups at a later date.
- Germination takes 5 days which is visible as pots are transparent.
- 5 days later the beans will grow above compost.
- Pupils can take the plants home after 2/3 weeks .
- A certificate of completion is given to all pupils that have taken part.
This is our standard activity but if you have a special request we can tailor a programme to suit your requirements.